Famitsu released the data for software and hardware sales last week in Japan, and it was a pretty big week for Nintendo. Dread Metroid launched last week, and just as it did in the UK, it also enjoyed a solid first appearance in Japan, topping the charts with nearly 87,000 units sold. That makes it the best launch of the series in Japan by far. Dread Metroid also came fourth immediately Metroid game in Japan so far.
Another new release last week was Far Cry 6, who has also seen a solid first appearance. It actually occupies two places in the charts, with PS4 versions (over 34,000 copies sold) and PS5 (over 16,000 copies sold) of the game displaying in second and third position respectively for a total of nearly 51,000 units sold over the week.
In terms of hardware, the Nintendo Switch is dominating as always, but with sales getting a significant boost thanks to the launch of the OLED Switch. In total, the Switch sold over 179,000 units, of which over 138,000 were OLED Switch units. Interestingly the new model has sold less at launch than the Switch Lite (177,936) and the Switch base 330,637), but back Bloomberg, pre-orders for the OLED Switch sold out quickly, and Nintendo most likely underestimated the demand for the device.
Meanwhile, the Xbox Series X / S also crossed 100,000 lifetime sales in Japan, less than a year from launch. By comparison, it took 50 months for the Xbox One to hit that milestone. The new consoles appear to surpass Xbox One’s lifetime sales in the coming months.
You can check out the full software and hardware charts for the week ending October 10 below.
Software sales (and then lifetime sales):
- [NSW] Dread Metroid – 86,798 (New)
- [PS4] Far Cry 6 – 34,219 (New)
- [PS5] Far Cry 6 – 16,686 (New)
- [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 12,257 (4,085,509)
- [NSW] Ultimate Smash Bros. – 11,936 (4,450,954)
- [NSW] Fit Ring Adventure – 11,257 (2,862,651)
- [NSW] Minecraft – 10,699 (2,225,165)
- [NSW] Doki Doki Literature Club and More! – 9,513 (New)
- [PS4] Lost Judgment – 8,589 (140,834)
- [NSW] WarioWare: Come Together! – 7,787 (144,966)
- Nintendo switch – 179,851
- PS5 – 15,885
- Xbox X / S Series – 3,447
- PS4 – 961