Team Ninja and Square Enix’s Soulslike Final Fantasy spinoff sold less than 50,000 units across PS5 and PS4 in its debut week in Japan.
Final Fantasy Origin’s Stranger of Paradise was probably one of the bigger new releases last week, but it doesn’t seem to get off to a hot start in Japan where sales are concerned. As per weekly software and hardware sales data released by Famitsu, Final Fantasy Origin’s Stranger of Paradise did manage to snag two spots in the charts, with the PS4 version at No. 1 and the PS5 version at No. 4.
Collectively, though, both versions sold over 46,000 units roughly half of what developer Team Ninja’s own Nioh (Approx. 90,000) Nioh 2 (Approx. 92,000) managed at launch. Meanwhile, other Final Fantasy spinoffs in recent years have also performed better at launch, like Dissidia Final Fantasy NT selling over 110,000 battles in Japan at launch, or Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles Remastered Edition selling Around 80,000 units.
Pokemon Legends: Arceus, which was pushed down to a second place, with over 23,000 units sold, while Elden Ring is still at no. 3. Meanwhile, Triangle Strategy is still hanging in the top 10 as well, taking the ninth spot with over 8,000 units sold.
On the hardware front, the Nintendo Switch is the highest selling console of the week, as it usually is, with over 85,000 units sold, which is a bit of a dip from what it managed last week. The PS5, meanwhile, holds steadily with over 16,000 units sold.
You can check out the full software and hardware sales for the week ending March 20 below.
Software sales (followed by lifetime sales):
- [PS4] Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin – 28,944 / NEW
- [NSW] Pokemon Legends: Arceus – 23,067 / 2,177,459
- [PS4] Elden Ring – 19,487 / 293,628
- [PS5] Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin – 17,905 / NEW
- [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 16,078 / 4,499,542
- [NSW] Minecraft – 9,755 / 2,561,419
- [PS4] Gran Turismo 7 – 9,447 / 94,818
- [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 9,111 / 4,813,641
- [NSW] Triangle Strategy – 8,429 / 112,107
- [NSW] Mario Party Superstars – 8,182 / 912,325
Hardware sales (followed by last week’s sales):
- Nintendo Switch – 85,479 (98,246)
- PS5 – 16,968 (16,286)
- Xbox Series X / S – 3,554 (1,962)