LIVE A LIVE has posted decent numbers in the Japanese charts upon launch, but has seen lower sales than Square Enix’s previous HD-2D games.
LIVE A LIVE was the big new game release last week, so it’s no surprise that as per the newest weekly Japanese software and hardware sales released by Famitsu, the Square Enix HD-2D RPG has topped the charts. The remake saw over 71,000 units sold upon launch in the region, which is a decent figure- although it still falls behind what Square Enix’s previous HD-2D games – Octopath Traveler (110,111 units) and Triangle Strategy (86,298 units) – managed at launch.
Meanwhile, Koei Tecmo’s Nobunaga’s Ambition: Rebirth was another new release last week, and it figured in the top 10 as well. The PS4 version of the game came in at No. 3 with over 23,000 units sold, while the Nintendo Switch version took fifth place, with over nearly 22,000 units sold, collectively selling over 45,000 units at launch (which would put it in second place if its sales were combined).
Finally, on the hardware front, it’s business as usual. The Nintendo Switch is the best-selling platform, as it usually is in Japan, with all of its variants collectively selling over 69,000 units. Current-gen consoles, meanwhile, are continuing to experience stock shortages, with the PS5 selling over 11,000 units and the Xbox Series X/S selling over 5,000 units.
You can check out the full software and hardware sales charts for the week ending July 24 below.
Software sales (followed by lifetime sales):
- [NSW] LIVE A LIVE – 71,137 (New)
- [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports – 24,869 (598,527)
- [PS4] Nobunaga’s Ambition: Rebirth – 23,425 (New)
- [NSW] Monster Hunter Rise + Sunbreak Set – 22,871 (200,263)
- [NSW] Nobunaga’s Ambition: Rebirth – 21,753 (New)
- [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 11,976 (4,734,067)
- [NSW] Kirby and the Forgotten Land – 9,746 (812,708)
- [NSW] Minecraft – 9,542 (2,717,993)
- [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure – 9,380 (3,221,140)
- [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 5,841 (4,930,600)
- Nintendo Switch – 69,374
- PS5 – 11,194
- Xbox Series X/S – 5,012